The Basin picnic area
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
For a great family day out, try The Basin picnic area, offering swimming, walking and barbecue facilities on Pittwater, in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Picnic areas
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Landing fees apply for day visitors: $3 per adult. $2 per child.
- Please pay on arrival at The Basin wharf or to the NPWS officer. Cash only. Correct change is recommended.
- Landing fees are included camping fees at The Basin campground.
- NPWS annual park passes don't cover landing fees.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Daily sunrise to sunset.
- Hire this venue
Book The Basin picnic area for your group activity or celebration. Please download our group activity application form (223KB pdf) for more.
- Please note
- Amenity blocks are available at nearby The Basin campground
- If you choose to arrive by car instead of ferry, water taxi, or kayak/canoe, you'll be walking a 2.8km track from West Head Road carpark to reach The Basin.
- It's better to get the ferry from Palm Beach if you have heavy gear or kids.
- If you're camping at The Basin and arriving by ferry from Palm Beach, please drop your camping gear at the ferry wharf. Leave your car in the seasonal carpark at the Careel Bay Sporting Fields, then catch the 199 bus back to the wharf. The 199 bus comes every 15 minutes, and it's just a short 5 minute ride.
When you need a city escape, gather the crew and set sail for The Basin picnic area, nestled in the bush on the eastern shores of West Head in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. Accessed by walking track from West Head or ferry across Pittwater from Palm Beach, there’s something for everyone at this popular spot.
With lovely views of the water and heaps of activities, you’ll be hard pressed deciding what to do first. The kids will love swimming and paddling at the sheltered beach and inland lagoon and if you’re keen to explore on foot, there’s nearby Bairne walking track. When it’s time for lunch, unpack the picnic hamper or spark up the barbecue and tuck in.
After a day of relaxing, it might be hard to pack up and leave this idyllic oasis. If you want to make a weekend of it and stay overnight at the adjacent The Basin campground. Be sure to book ahead, as this is a popular place to stay in spring and summer.
Take a virtual tour of The Basin picnic area captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass