Sugar Creek picnic area
Wallingat National Park
Sugar Creek picnic area is a family-friendly relaxation spot with easy walking trails through forested landscape, a leisurely drive from Forster and Pacific Palms.
- Picnic areas
- Wallingat National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
Looking for a place to relax and admire nature? Walk through the forest? Maybe cook up a snag or two? Sugar Creek picnic area is a cool sanctuary among the tall timber. Make use of the gas barbecue before heading off on one of the easy walks.
The tall cabbage palms and flooded gums are awe-inspiring, having survived logging in the area that continued until 1999. From September to December, you might see the purplish flowers of the red beard orchid or, in early spring, the mauve blossoms of the velvet mint-bush.
These forests are also home to hundreds of species of birds, including catbirds (not surprisingly, their call sounds a bit like the mewling of a cat), as well as kangaroos, wallabies, possums and frogs. Those with eagle eyes might also be able to spot koalas in the tall eucalypts, although they’re much easier to see if you bring binoculars.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Booti Booti Office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 6591 0300
- The Ruins campground, Booti Booti National Park, 4374 The Lakes Way, Booti Booti 2428
- in Wallingat National Park in the North Coast region
Wallingat National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to extreme weather or fire danger.
Things to do (37)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Aboriginal culture (4)
- Beach (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (16)
- Canoeing/paddling (5)
- Cycling (8)
- Fishing (8)
- Historic heritage (8)
- Horse riding (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (14)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (2)
- Sightseeing (10)
- Surfing (3)
- Swimming (6)
- Walking (17)