Hunter Wetlands National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Riverside Park.
Getting there and parking
Riverside Park is in the Ash Island precinct of Hunter Wetlands National Park. To get there from Newcastle:
- Follow the Pacific Highway north towards Hexham
- Turn right onto Ash Island Bridge
- Follow the signs to Riverside Park
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
There's a bitumen carpark at the picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Hunter Wetlands National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
With the weather mild, now is the time to get those bicycles out and ride the paths around Ash Island.
Pack a picnic to eat at Scotts Point or Riverside Park This is also the time you'll see the cream flowers of the mangroves .
This is the best time for birdwatching at Stockton Sandspit, as many of the migratory birds are here feeding. Make sure you're there at low-tide.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 25°C
10°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Flush toilets
There are accessible picnic tables set on concrete slabs at the picnic area. The picnic tables are located along hard-packed ground and gravel paths.
There's step-free access from the carpark to the picnic tables, jetty and toilets along hard-packed ground and gravel paths.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- There's step-free access around the picnic area and to the facilities along hard-packed ground and gravel pathways.
- There are accessible picnic tables.
- The toilets are not accessible.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307