Sydney Harbour National Park
Nielsen Park is perfectly positioned at Vaucluse in Sydney's eastern suburbs. It offers sublime views, the lovely Shark Beach, a harbourside café and three great picnic areas.
- Picnic areas
- Sydney Harbour National Park
- Please note
- If you plan to visit Nielsen Park with more than 20 people, (schools, corporate or private) then you'll need to make a group booking in advance. To book, please phone between 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday: 02 9337 5511.
- Specific areas in Nielsen Park are also available for event and function hire.
Sydney serves up some of its best outdoor offerings at Nielsen Park, located at Vaucluse in Sydney’s eastern suburbs. Blessed with the glistening Shark Beach and glorious harbour views, Nielsen Park is one of Sydney’s favourite year-round recreation areas.
It’s also one of the most picturesque places for a picnic, boasting three large, sheltered picnic areas. Relax on the grass and enjoy your lunch beneath a shady fig tree. Stroll along the scenic foreshore walking track or explore the area by kayak.
Relax with a coffee at The Nielsen, the kids can swim and build sandcastles before setting out to explore Bottle and Glass Point.
Take a virtual tour of Nielsen Park captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Things to do:
The easy Hermitage Foreshore walk is one of Sydney's great coastal walks. Start at Nielsen Park and take in the views of Shark Island, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the grounds of Strickland House along the way.
You don't have to jump on a plane or travel far for adventure. Check out these dream beach and mountain escapes just moments from Sydney.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Nielsen Park office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 9337 5511
- Greycliffe House, Nielsen Park, 6 Steele Point Road, Vaucluse NSW 2030
- in Sydney Harbour National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Sydney Harbour National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
Bradleys Head carpark: $8 per vehicle per day. North Head carpark: $5 per vehicle per day. There are pay and display machines that accept cards and coins - no change given. Chowder Bay Road parking: Monday-Friday: $3 per hour, to a maximum of $16 per day. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: $4 per hour, to a maximum of $20 per day. If you hold an NPWS All Parks or Multi Parks Pass, you can park free for up to four hours per day - additional time can be purchased. Car parks operated by Sydney Harbour Federation Trust or Mosman Council are not covered by your pass. Please check signs carefully.
Landing fee or tour fee applies to visit Sydney Harbour islands. To visit Shark, Clark or Rodd islands all vessels, including kayaks, need to pay a $7 per person landing fee. To arrange, please contact 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS). Annual NSW Parks Passes not valid for landing fees.Buy annual pass