Cheesetree picnic area
Crowdy Bay National Park
Cheesetree picnic area, near Diamond Head in Crowdy Bay National Park, offers swimming, fishing and surfing on a vast white sand beach, and is just a short drive from Port Macquarie.
- Picnic areas
- Crowdy Bay National Park in North Coast
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch.
Close to Crowdy Bay National Park’s northern entrance, this grassy, wind-sheltered nook is nestled behind the dunes and offers plenty of space for the kids to run around. Only a short drive from Port Macquarie, Cheesetree picnic area is a perfect family destination for a day filled with swimming, fishing, surfing and walking the sandy white beaches.
Curious about the name? The cheesetree is a native rainforest species named for its cheese-shaped fruit, a favourite for many of the park’s resident birds. Keep your eyes peeled for glossy black cockatoos and swift parrots.
After lunch, if you feel like exploring, head south along the beach towards the popular Diamond Head campground. From here, there’s a range of walks from the Forest walking track to the more challenging Diamond Head loop walk.
Take a virtual tour of Cheesetree picnic area captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Crowdy Bay National Park in the North Coast region
Crowdy Bay National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Pay park entry fees at the Diamond Head campground onsite office.Buy annual pass