Cascades picnic area
Macquarie Pass National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Cascades picnic area.
Getting there and parking
From Sydney and Wollongong:
- Take the Princes Highway and Southern Freeway to the Illawarra Highway turnoff at Haywards Bay
- Travel about 14km along the Illawarra Highway, which veers right in Albion Park, to Macquarie Pass National Park and the Cascades picnic area.
- Take the Illawarra Highway east to reach Macquarie Pass National Park and the Cascades picnic area
- Head north along the Princes Highway and turn west into Tongarra Road at Albion Park Rail
- Travel about 15km along Tongarra Road , which becomes the Illawarra Highway, to Macquarie Pass National Park and the Cascades picnic area.
The main road used to access Macquarie Pass National Park is the Illawarra Highway which may close at times due to road works or accidents. For information on whether the Illawarra Highway is open, contact NSW Roads and Maritime Services on 13 22 13 or check Live Traffic NSW before you visit.
Caution should be exercised when exiting and entering the Illawarra Highway
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Cascades picnic area, including limited bus parking. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Macquarie Pass National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take on some longer walks and see the lilly pillys fruiting.
Smell the sweet scent of flowering pittosporum and wattle throughout the park.
Walk in the cool of the rainforest and see the Illawarra flame trees and coachwoods in flower.
Enjoy the early wattle blooming at the edge of the forest and bring your binoculars for the bird activity of late winter.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 25°C
8°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own. Please do not drink the creek water.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
Firewood may not be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500