Brunswick River picnic area
Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve
Brunswick River picnic area is a great place to enjoy this peaceful reserve, with scenic views, easy access to fishing and plenty of birdwatching opportunities.
- Picnic areas
- Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
- Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- This area is within Cape Byron Marine Park. Next to the fishing area is a sanctuary zone, where fishing is not permitted. Check out the Marine Parks Authority website for more information or call on 02 6620 9300.
Brunswick River picnic area is a great place to enjoy this peaceful coastal reserve, with views of the river and easy-to-access fishing spots. Enjoy lunch with friends and family in the shade of cottonwood hibiscus, which shows its large yellow flowers in the warm weather, and listen to the wind gently whoosh through the swamp oaks. Then cast a line and relax.
The access road to this picnic area is lined with many threatened rainforest trees, such as marblewood and stinking laurel (which doesn’t actually stink). In spring, the brilliant purple flowers of the hovea bush decorate the way as well.
This quiet spot is ideal for birdwatching. Pied oystercatchers feed on the rocks, while birds of prey - brahminy kites and white-bellied sea eagles – soar overhead. If you’re really lucky, you’ll see an osprey stealthily snatch a fish from the water.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Murwillumbah office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6670 8600
- Level 1/135 Murwillumbah Street, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
- in Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.