Broken Head picnic area
Broken Head Nature Reserve
Indulge in some picnicking, swimming, surfing, and birdwatching, while discovering a secluded paradise where lush rainforest meets the beach.
- Picnic areas
- Broken Head Nature Reserve in North Coast
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch.
Just a short drive or bike ride from Byron Bay, and you can enjoy an early morning swim or surf, followed by a peaceful walk along the beach. Then, after you’ve worked up a morning appetite, wander back to Broken Head picnic area and indulge in a satisfying barbecue breakfast.
Spread a blanket on the grass and laze away the day under a shady tree with a good book listening to the sounds of the rainforest behind you. Or head back to the beach for a spot of fishing and a game of cricket with the kids.
It’s a perfect place to just relax, yet there’s so much to explore here. Wander through the lush rainforest to Three Sisters lookout for spectacular views and whale watching. Or enjoy the birdwatching opportunities under the rainforest canopy and along the water’s edge.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Byron Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6639 8300
- 22 Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay 2481
- in Broken Head Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Broken Head Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$4 per vehicle per hour. The park has pay machines - cash and credit cards accepted.Buy annual pass
Things to do (45)
- Aboriginal culture (3)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (15)
- Cafes and kiosks (4)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (4)
- Fishing (5)
- Historic heritage (5)
- Horse riding (3)
- Other experiences (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (12)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (17)
- Snorkelling and scuba (2)
- Surfing (9)
- Swimming (9)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (17)
- Waterfalls (11)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)