Boarding House Dam picnic area
Watagans National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Boarding House Dam picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Boarding House Dam picnic area is in the Boarding House Dam precinct of Watagans National Park. To get there:
- Take Cessnock (Freemans Waterhole) exit off the F3
- Turn right into Freemans Drive then right onto Mount Faulk Road (unsealed after 3kms)
- Turn left into Watagan Forest Drive
- Turn right into Boarding House Dam Road
- The picnic area is at the end of the road
Check the weather before you set out, as the road to Boarding House Dam can become slippery when it rains. Prolonged wet weather may cause temporary road closures.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
Limited parking is available on Boarding House Dam Road. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Watagans National Park.
Camp at Gap Creek or Bangalow campground and enjoy a campfire as the sun sets.
Cooling off at Boarding House Dam is especially popular during summer months Enjoy the moist and cool Circuit walking track .
Late winter sees the bloom of Illawara flame trees which can be seen across the valley from Gap Creek lookout Check out the views from the various lookouts, while the air is crisp and clean .
Weather, temperature and rainfall
16°C and 30°C
5°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty.
- Accessible toilets and picnic tables next to the car park