Back Creek picnic area
Blue Gum Hills Regional Park
Back Creek picnic area, set in a beautiful dry eucalypt forest, offers great spots for picnics and cricket games, is close to easy walking tracks and features a maze.
- Picnic areas
- Blue Gum Hills Regional Park in North Coast
Bookings are required for groups of more than 40 people
- Please note
- Walkers, cyclists and horse riders should stay on recognised tracks and trails as there are areas in the park that are subject to mine subsidence.
- Water is not available, so you'll need to bring your own supply for cooking and drinking.
The Back Creek picnic area is a popular place for birthday celebrations and family gatherings. There are free gas barbecues, easily accessible picnic tables and a large field that is perfect for a spot of cricket, football and kite flying.
The kids will love this picnic area; there’s a timber maze with an observation deck for you to watch them getting lost and found again and a special mining-themed playground with tunnel and crank-handled conveyor belt for adventurers to get into the spirit of the place.
If you feel like exploring the history of the park a little more, you can take the easy walk accross the creek to the pleasant view over Minmi cemetery. Many of the men who worked in the mines were laid to rest here, see if you can find the oldest grave.
Take a virtual tour of Back Creek picnic area captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles.
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Blue Gum Hills Regional Park in the North Coast region
Blue Gum Hills Regional Park is open 7.30am to 8pm during daylight savings (7.30am to 5pm at other times), but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.