Baal Bone Gap picnic area
Gardens of Stone National Park
Visit the jewel in the crown of Gardens of Stone and marvel at the magnificent rock pagodas, sheer cliffs and endless scenic views of Baal Bone Gap.
- Picnic areas
- Opening times
Baal Bone picnic area is always open, but the road may become impassable in heavy rain.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- If you’re camping in the park, please make sure you prepare thoroughly.
If you’re four-wheel driving, head out to Baal Bone Gap for a picnic and some of the finest views in the Blue Mountains. You’ll find huge examples of the rock pagodas that make this part of the mountains unique and see stunning sandstone cliffs and extensive views.
Baal Bone Gap is a popular place to begin a bushwalking exploration of the western end of the park. Enjoy a picnic and head out among the distinctive grass trees for a truly rejuvenating experience, but remember that trails are unmarked and walking in Gardens of Stone is for experienced and well-prepared bushwalkers only.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Oberon office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6336 6200
- 38 Ross Street, Oberon NSW 2787
- in Gardens of Stone National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Gardens of Stone National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (76)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Adventure sports (17)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (7)
- Environmental appreciation/study (5)
- Historic heritage (11)
- Horse riding (2)
- Other experiences (4)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (9)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (4)
- Sightseeing (28)
- Swimming (3)
- Trail bike touring (1)
- Visitor centres (2)
- Walking (37)
- Waterfalls (14)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (8)