Jilliby State Conservation Area
Muirs lookout at Jilliby State Conservation Area displays amazing scenic views from the Watagan Range overlooking neighbouring townships.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The roads in this park are accessible by 4WD only
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
No trip to Jilliby State Conservation Area would be complete without taking the time to enjoy awe-inspiring scenic views from Muirs lookout.
Gaze miles out along the mountains and eucalypt forests of Watagan Range, with panoramic views to the east over semi-rural communities - Mandalong and Morisset, as well as Lake Macquarie, included.
If you enjoy birdwatching, be sure to bring your binoculars. There are many interesting bird species that call Jilliby State Conservation Area home. At night you might be lucky enough to see the threatened sooty, barking, masked or powerful owls.
Tall eucalypts framing the view across the coast make Muirs lookout an idyllic spot to spread out and enjoy a peaceful picnic or even just a cup of tea to take in the naturally beautiful surroundings.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Jilliby State Conservation Area in the Sydney and surrounds and North Coast regions
Jilliby State Conservation Area is always open but some sections may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (178)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (16)
- Adventure sports (8)
- Beach (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (53)
- Canoeing/paddling (7)
- Cultural heritage (3)
- Cycling (23)
- Educational activities (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (4)
- Fishing (10)
- Historic heritage (24)
- Horse riding (4)
- Other experiences (6)
- Photography (5)
- Picnics and barbecues (25)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (3)
- Sightseeing (66)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (2)
- Swimming (6)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (87)
- Waterfalls (8)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (8)