Monkey Face lookout
Watagans National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Monkey Face lookout.
Getting there and parking
Monkey Face lookout is in the north-eastern section of Watagans National Park. To get there:
- Take Mount Faulk Road past the entrance of the park and continue north
- Turn left into Monkey Face Road
- The lookout is at the end of the road, after veering left past the turnoff to Gap Creek lookout.
- Roads to Monkey Face lookout are narrow, so please be careful of oncoming traffic around blind corners.
- Check the forecast before you set out as roads may become impassable after heavy rain. For up to date information on road closures, visit the OEH website.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available for the lookout at the adjacent picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Watagans National Park.
Camp at Gap Creek or Bangalow campground and enjoy a campfire as the sun sets.
Cooling off at Boarding House Dam is especially popular during summer months Enjoy the moist and cool Circuit walking track .
Late winter sees the bloom of Illawara flame trees which can be seen across the valley from Gap Creek lookout Check out the views from the various lookouts, while the air is crisp and clean .
Weather, temperature and rainfall
16°C and 30°C
5°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.