Eastern Side lookout
Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve
The Eastern Side lookout offers spectacular views of the Solitary Islands. A short walk from the carpark, it’s a great place for whale watching in the heart of Coffs Harbour.
- Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Please refrain from disturbing the birds; this means no flash photography and always keep to the track
- It’s around a 2km return journey to the lookout from the carpark area near the breakwall
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch
The Eastern Side lookout is located a short walk from the Muttonbird Island outdoor learning space along a paved walkway. As you’re walking along the track to the lookout, on either side of the path you’ll notice open entrances to muttonbird burrows. Signage along the way explains the lifecycle of these migratory birds.
It is really important to stay on the track as the burrows are fragile and the plant cover provides little protection from cave-ins which can be disastrous for the birds.
The Eastern Side lookout is perched above wave-worn rock platforms at the eastern end of the walkway. You’ll enjoy unimpeded views of Solitary Islands Marine Park all year round and between May and November you might see humpback whales on their annual migration. On a clear day you can see all the way along the north coast to South West Rocks in the south and north to Woolgoolga.
Take a virtual tour of Eastern Side lookout captured with Google Street View Trekker.
NSW national parks around Coffs Harbour have the best vantage points to see whales during their annual migration, which takes place from May to November. Plan your next coastal adventure on the Wild About Whales website.
Download the app and discover ‘An island’s tale’ as you explore Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve. After a briefm steep climb, be rewarded with commanding coastal views of the Coffs Coast and hinterland. Continue to Eastern Side lookout while finding out about the stories the island holds.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Coffs Harbour office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6652 0900
- 4/32 Edgar St, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
- in Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.