Captain Cook lookout and picnic area
Cape Byron State Conservation Area
Family-friendly Captain Cook lookout and picnic area offers scenic coastal views, golden beaches and walking options in the beautiful Cape Byron State Conservation Area.
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area in North Coast
- Entry fees
$4 per hour (pay and display machine). Or you can buy an NPWS Annual Pass.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching or whale watching
Captain Cook lookout and picnic area in Cape Byron State Conservation Area provides parking and access to one of Australia's most popular beaches. Under the shadow of the iconic Cape Byron Lighthouse, you can step out on the popular Cape Byron walking track, an invigorating 3.7km walk taking in coastal cliffs, rainforest and spectacular beaches.
With loads of parking and easy access to the beach, it’s a family-friendly picnic spot with something for everyone. Head down for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters before enjoying a picnic lunch.
Enjoy the reviving coastal breezes and natural beauty of the surrounding headlands, rainforest and beaches. Keep your eyes peeled for dolphins frolicking in the waves and be sure to pack your binoculars if you’re visiting during whale watching season.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
NSW National Parks first recorded The Pass midden in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in 1980. And, in 2013, ancient archaeological midden material was repatriated and displayed on Country. Today, along with our Aboriginal community partners, NPWS works to protect The Pass midden, both now and into the future.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Cape Byron Information Centre
- 9.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day
- 02 6639 8300
- 199 Lighthouse Road, Byron Bay NSW 2481
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted.
Coach entry: $30 per coach up to 30 seats; $57 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $94 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass