Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Scutts Hut.
Getting there and parking
Scutts Hut is in the Kaputar Plateau precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road
- Follow Kaputar Road for 27km to the Mount Kaputar National Park entrance
- The Bark Hut turn-off is 14km on the right
- The Scutts Hut trail trackhead is approximately 100m past the Bark Hut turn-off
- It's a 9.5km walk to the hut
The road from the park entrance is steep and a single lane. Caravans are not permitted.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Bark Hut picnic area and campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- You'll need to bring your own drinking and cooking water
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Maps and downloads
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.