Hartley Historic Site
This fine example of colonial architecture allows you to imagine the convicts, magistrates and members of the public passing through its doors. Book in a guided tour.
- Historic buildings/places
- Hartley Historic Site
- Opening times
- Take a self-guided tour of Hartley Courthouse Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 1pm and 1.30pm to 4pm. Book at Hartley Historic Site Visitor Centre.
- Price: Courthouse $6.60 per person. Courthouse and church $8.80 per person.
- Book in advance for large groups, school groups, special needs groups or other pre-arranged visits. Email or call or Hartley Historic Site on 02 6355 2117 for further information.
- Hire this venue
Hartley Courthouse is available for events and function hire.
Hartley Courthouse was designed by colonial architect Mortimer Lewis in the Grecian Revival style. Still largely intact and constructed solidly of locally quarried sandstone, it is an imposing building, as it was designed to be.
The three doorways provided entrances for prisoners, the public and magistrates and visitors can examine the cellblock that housed prisoners and convicts. Many notorious bushrangers and cattle thieves were kept here and inside the cells, with their bars and bolts still in position, you can imagine the thoughts of men used to roaming the country locked up tight in this remote prison.
As the convict system faded into history, and Hartley was bypassed by the new railway, the need for a courthouse here diminished. Benefits were held in this grand old building during World War II, and nowadays visitors can wander through, reading the interpretive signs and imagining the building’s vivid colonial past.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Hartley Visitor Centre
- 10am to 4.20pm daily. Closed Mondays, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- 02 6355 2117
- Farmers Inn, Old Bathurst Road, Hartley NSW 2790
- in Hartley Historic Site in the Sydney and surrounds region
Hartley Historic Site is open every day but may have to close at times due to fire danger or school bookings.
Hartley Historic Site Visitor Centre is open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.20pm.