Capertee Woolshed ruins
Capertee National Park
Capertee Woolshed ruins, in Capertee National Park, offer a view of the historic heritage of the area, with walking, paddling and birdwatching opportunities nearby.
- Historic buildings/places
- Capertee National Park in Sydney and surrounds, Country NSW
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The woolshed building is now derelict and can only be viewed from outside
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
When spending time in Capertee National Park, remember to visit Capertee Woolshed ruins while you’re there. On the river flat below Capertee Homestead – ‘Port Macquarie’, these ruins are one of the surviving remnants of the area’s pastoral history. Try to imagine it back then, especially during shearing time, with the dusty air filled with the sounds of men’s voices and the bleating of sheep.
Pack a picnic lunch, and take your family along in the car and make a day of it, because there are plenty of other things to do in this section of Capertee, such as paddling in the river or hiking along Capertee trail. If you want to extend your visit then you also have the option to stay overnight at Capertee campground. Enjoy seeing the resident kangaroos grazing in this area. There’s also abundant birdlife in the park, so bring your binoculars along and keep them handy for a spot of birdwatching.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Capertee National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and Country NSW regions
Capertee National Park has a locked entry gate. If you're visiting during the day, get the gate code by calling Mudgee Office (weekdays) or Blue Mountains Heritage Centre (weekends).