South Solitary Island tour
South Solitary Island Historic Site
COVID-safe tours and events
In line with the latest NSW Government COVID-19 advice, masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others.
Join an NPWS ranger on a rare 2-hour guided tour of remote South Solitary Island, in Solitary Islands Marine Park, off the NSW Coffs Coast.
First weekend of the month from May to August 2022:
Saturday 7 May and Sunday 8 May 2022. Saturday 4 June and Sunday 5 June 2022. Saturday 2 July and Sunday 3 July 2022. Saturday 6 August and Sunday 7 August 2022.
Tours depart at 8am, 8.30am, 10am, 10.30am, 12pm and 12.30pm. Your visit to the island will be for 2 hours, with an 8 min (approx.) helicopter flight each way.
- South Solitary Island Historic Site
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for adults and children, 5 years and over. You’ll walk 500m (approx.), including climbing steep narrow steps inside the lighthouse.
Adult/child (5 years and over) $490 per person. Maximum 9 people per group.
- Meeting point
- Precision Helicopter base, Hangar 77, Aviation Drive, Coffs Harbour
- What to
- Sturdy shoes, suitable clothing, drinking water, snacks
- Bookings required. Email Precision Helicopters or phone 02 6652 9988 or 0476 766 248.
This is your chance to visit this amazing island historic site and its lighthouse on a 2hr guided tour for small groups. Public access to the island is restricted to only a few dates each year.
Highlights of the tour include:
- Visiting rooms in the Head lighthouse keeper’s quarters
- Climbing up the lighthouse’s spiral staircase to view the magical panorama from the Light Tower balcony – see if you can spot some whales on their yearly journey north
- Walking down to the old gantry
- Hearing stories of life on the island before the light was automated in 1975, and fascinating facts about the lighthouse.
Please wear enclosed flat shoes, warm clothing and a spray jacket. Bring drinking water, snacks and your camera.