Smoky Cape Lighthouse: Reach the top
Hat Head National Park
Explore the highest lighthouse in NSW at Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks. Learn about the 'highway of light' and climb the steep stairs to enjoy the spectacular ocean views from the top.
Thursday 2 January, Thursday 9 January, Thursday 16 January and Thursday 23 January 2020, 9.30am to 10.30am and 10.30am to 11.30am.
- Smoky Cape Lighthouse, Hat Head National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for children 5 years and over. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. For safety reasons, this tour is not suitable for children under 5 years. Each adult can only supervise a maximum of 2 children.
Adult/child $15 per person. Family $45 for 2 adults and 2 children.
- Meeting point
- Top of carpark at Smoky Cape Lighthouse.
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Visit this working lighthouse and hear the fascinating story behind the coastal 'highway of light'. Climb the steep stairs to the light room and go out onto the high balcony. From here, you can look down over Smoky Cape and see the grey nurse shark breeding grounds off the coast. Learn how the lighthouse keepers and their families survived the isolation. They kept the 'highway of light' operating for over 100 years.
Remember to wear enclosed shoes.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass