Smoky Cape Lighthouse: Reach the top
Hat Head National Park
Explore the tallest lighthouse in NSW at Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks. Learn about the 'highway of light' and climb the steep stairs to enjoy the spectacular ocean views from the top.
Thursday 26 September, Thursday 3 October and Thursday 10 October 2019, 2pm to 3pm and 3pm to 4pm
- Smoky Cape Lighthouse, Hat Head National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for children 5 years and over. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. For safety reasons, this tour is not suitable for children under 5 years. Each adult can only supervise a maximum of 2 children.
Adult/child $15 per person. Family $45 for 2 adults and 2 children.
- Meeting point
- Top of carpark at Smoky Cape Lighthouse.
- Bookings required. Email Trial Bay Gaol or call 02 6566 6168. Due to AMSA regulations, each tour is limited to a maximum of 10 people.
- Extra tours can be organised. Contact Trial Bay Gaol using the booking details.
Visit this working lighthouse and hear the fascinating story behind the coastal 'highway of light'. Climb the steep stairs to the light room and go out onto the high balcony. From here, you can look down over Smoky Cape and see the grey nurse shark breeding grounds off the coast. Learn how the lighthouse keepers and their families survived the isolation. They kept the 'highway of light' operating for over 100 years.
Remember to wear enclosed shoes.
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy a pass