Smoky Cape Lighthouse: Reach the top
Hat Head National Park
Explore the highest lighthouse in NSW at Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks. Learn about the 'highway of light' and climb the steep stairs to enjoy the spectacular ocean views from the top.
The first Saturday of each month in 2021, 9am to 10am and 10.15am to 11:15am.
School Holiday dates:
Saturday 10 April and Saturday 17 April 2021, 9am to 10am, 10.15am to 11.15am, 11.30am to 12.30pm and 1pm to 2pm.
- Smoky Cape Lighthouse, Hat Head National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for children 5 years and over. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Each adult can only supervise a maximum of 2 children.
Adult/child (5 years and above) $20 per person.
- Meeting point
- Top of carpark at Smoky Cape Lighthouse
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Visit this working lighthouse and hear the fascinating story behind the coastal 'highway of light'. Climb the steep stairs to the light room and go out onto the high balcony. From here, you can look down over Smoky Cape and see the grey nurse shark breeding grounds off the coast. Learn how the lighthouse keepers and their families survived the isolation. They kept the 'highway of light' operating for over 100 years.
Remember to wear enclosed shoes.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass