Muogamarra Peats Bight walk
Muogamarra Nature Reserve
On this challenging 10km full-day walk in Muogamarra Nature Reserve, near Cowan, you'll hear about Peats Crater's amazing geological features.
Tour time: 9.30am to 3.30pm
Every Saturday and Sunday from Saturday 14 August to Sunday 19 September 2021.
- Muogamarra Nature Reserve
- No wheelchair access
- Hard. Suitable for adults and children, 15 years and over. Some bushwalking experience is recommended. Tracks may have short steep hill sections, a rough surface and many steps.
- Adult $55 per person. Concession $50 per person. Child (minimum age 15 years) $30 per person. Family $140 (2 adults and 2 children).
- Meeting point
- Meet at the entrance to Muogamarra Nature Reserve.
- Pre-bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online. Group bookings available, call Kalkari Discovery Center on 02 9472 9300.
- Please note
- You can only visit Muogamarra Nature Reserve if you have booked a guided tour in advance.
- It’s important to meet 30mins before your tour departs. You can only access this track at the tour times.
- Please check for ticks and leaches at the end of the walk.
- Supervise children near lookouts and clifftops with no barriers.
- Muogamarra Nature Reserve protects a fragile ecosystem so let’s keep it plastic free.
We'll begin at the information centre and walk to Peats Crater. From there we'll continue on to Peats Bight along an historic road that was constructed by bonded convicts.
On this walk you'll discover fascinating geological features in the landscape around you. Your guide will point out picturesque Hawkesbury sandstone and impressive volcanic pipes filled with solidified magma. Keep an eye out for historic relics, such as Peats Bight Guest House, early wharves and retaining walls.
You'll also walk through lush rainforest and mangrove environments. Once we reach Peats Bight, you can relax and enjoy the views along Berowra Creek and the Hawkesbury River. You'll begin to appreciate the preservation of the area and understand why it was listed as a sanctuary in 1935.
Muogamarra Nature Reserve is open for just 6 weekends a year to preserve its fragile ecosystems and Aboriginal heritage.
Bring drinking water, morning tea and lunch. Wear sunscreen, insect repellant, sturdy walking shoes, hat and consider bringing walking poles if needed.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Muogamarra Nature Reserve in the Sydney and surrounds region
Muogamarra Nature Reserve is open to the public from 9am to 4.30pm for 6 weekends between 14 August to 19 September 2021. You may only visit if you have booked a guided tour in advance. The reserve is closed to the public at other times to protect sensitive natural and cultural heritage values.