Guided kayak adventures at Smiths Island
Hunter Wetlands National Park
Spend a day exploring mangrove forests and islands by kayak on this tour of Hunter Wetlands National Park with the friendly guides from the School of Yak. It’s a great way to reconnect with nature in this birdwatchers’ paradise around Smiths Island.
- Contact the School of Yak for tour schedule.
- Hunter Wetlands National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Easy. Modest level of fitness is required. Tours suit all levels of experience and basic lessons are provided prior to going out on the water.
- Contact the School of Yak for pricing.
- Bookings required. Book online or email or call the School of Yak on 0417 421 174.
- Please note
- Half-day and full-day experiences available.
This wetland tour by the School of Yak is a wonderful way to discover stunning RAMSAR-listed wetlands just outside Newcastle. Their expert guides will give you all the advice you need to get out on the water safely. Before you know it, you’ll be padding across tranquil wetland waters and through mangrove forests.
Be sure to bring your binoculars to enjoy the diverse birdlife of the islands. This twitchers’ paradise is home to white-bellied sea eagles, brahminy kites and ospreys, to name just a few. At lunch time, step ashore for a tasty meal prepared by your guide. You’ll also have a chance to stretch your legs with a beachside walk, and take in scenic sites including military ruins and a shipwreck.
The School of Yak is a licensed commercial tour operator with a Parks Eco Pass.
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.