Zanci Pastoral Loop
Mungo National Park
Cycling or car touring the historic Zanci Pastoral loop through Willandra Lakes World Heritage area in Mungo National Park, offers superb wildlife and birdwatching.
- Mungo National Park in Murray-Riverina
- 10km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as Zanci Pastoral loop can become boggy when it rains
- Toilets and picnic facilities can be found at Mungo Visitor Centre
Cycling along this route is a great way to enliven the senses and get a feel for the vast desert of Mungo National Park in the Willandra Lakes World Heritage Area. Starting at Mungo Visitor Centre, you’ll cycle past dunes and wide open skies with the chance to do some birdwatching, spot wildlife and visit historic Zanci Homestead site.
A perfect early morning or sunset adventure, you'll be adding your tracks to a landscape that includes some of the oldest evidence of human and animal life in the world. You might have a cycling race with a Richard's pipit, see a flock of pink cockatoos, or spot an eagle’s nest among the branches of the nearby belah trees.
After an exhilarating ride, stop for a picnic at Mungo Woolshed. If you’ve still got energy to burn, you can cycle Mungo Self-guided Drive tour or just jump in the car.
Take a virtual tour of Zanci Pastoral Loop captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Book a Mungo guided tour
Explore Mungo National Park on a guided tour. You can visit the Walls of China on an Aboriginal-guided tour. It’s popular, so book early. There are also multi-day 4WD tours and day tours.
Mungo National Park joint management program
Protecting and preserving the Aboriginal culture and heritage of Mungo National Park, part of the Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Area, is a joint effort. NPWS collaborates with representative elders from three local Aboriginal tribes to help manage this special and ancient place.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Buronga office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 03 5021 8900
- 4 Melaleuca Street, Buronga NSW 2739
- in Mungo National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Mungo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Fees are payable through self-registration envelopes outside Mungo Visitor Centre. Different fees apply for commercial tour operators and vehicles with 8 seats or more.Buy annual pass
Things to do (19)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Aboriginal culture (14)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (6)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Cycling (2)
- Geotourism (3)
- Historic heritage (7)
- Other experiences (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (8)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (4)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)