Double Wharf trail
Wallingat National Park
Experience the scenic waterways and mountainous forests of Wallingat National Park along Double Wharf trail – perfect for walking or mountain bike riding.
- Wallingat National Park in North Coast
- 5.5km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
Wallingat National Park, near Forster, features stunning waterways and mountainous forests, and the best way to see them is by following the meandering Double Wharf trail either on foot or by mountain bike. The relatively flat trail heads north along the eastern side of Boggy Creek and Wallingat River, through a water crossing at Sugar Creek, and onto the scenic Reedy Creek trail.
Along the way, you’ll pass through swampy casuarina forests and tall paperbarks, with dry eucalypt forest on the higher ridges. Bring some binoculars for birdwatching – egrets and cormorants frolic on Wallingat River, while yellow-tail black cockatoos are attracted by the fruiting casuarinas. There’s also a chance you’ll spot echidnas and wallabies foraging in the undergrowth.
This is a great route to explore at any time of year. Bring plenty of water and a packed lunch for a quiet picnic along the way. And, if you’re up for a loop walk or mountain bike ride after lunch, you can extend your route to include Whoota Lookout Road and Sugar Creek Road.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Booti Booti Office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 6591 0300
- The Ruins campground, Booti Booti National Park, 4374 The Lakes Way, Booti Booti 2428
- in Wallingat National Park in the North Coast region
Wallingat National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to extreme weather or fire danger.
Things to do (24)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Aboriginal culture (3)
- Beach (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (10)
- Canoeing/paddling (4)
- Cycling (6)
- Fishing (5)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Horse riding (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (9)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (3)
- Surfing (3)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (9)