Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Barraba track.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Barraba track is in the Kaputar plateau precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park. Please also note vehicle access to Barraba track is by permit and keys only. A $10 fee and $40 refundable deposit is payable by cash in advance. They are available from Barraba Cafe and Queen Street Cafe, Barraba. To get there:
- Take Old Gunnedah Road, and turn left onto Kaputar Road.
- Travel 27km to the park entrance, and follow the road up the mountain. Please be aware, it's a very steep, narrow and winding road.
- At the T-junction, turn right and drive 250m.
- The gate to Barrabra track will be on your left. Please ensure your vehicle doesn't block the gateway.
- Travel west on Trevallyn Road, and turn left onto Mount Lindsay Road.
- Continue left on Mount Lindsay Road as it becomes an unsealed track to the park boundary.
Park entry points
- Barraba trackhead See on map
Barraba track is 4WD accessible only. Check the weather before you set out as the road to Barraba track can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available near Barraba track.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Maps and downloads
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.