Yanga Lake Red Gum bird hide
Yanga National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Yanga Lake Red Gum bird hide.
Getting there and parking
Yanga Lake Red Gum bird hide in the Homestead precinct of Yanga National Park. To get there:
- From Balranald, travel east along Sturt Highway for 7km.
- Turn right into Yanga picnic area just over Yanga Creek
- Turn left at the Yanga National Park sign and drive 2km along unsealed road to Yanga Homestead
- Follow Yanga Lake walking track to the bird hide
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Yanga Homestead.
Best times to visit
The locals will tell you it can get pretty hot out this way, so you may wish to time your visit to avoid the summer heat. Temperatures during autumn, winter and spring are more moderate - just be sure to check the forecast as roads can become inaccessible in wet weather.
A great time to see the woodland birds - be sure to bring your binoculars.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty
- There is a ramp into the bird hide however the area is very sandy
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Yanga National Park office
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily.
- 03 5020 1764
- 38773 Sturt Highway, Balranald NSW 2715
- in Yanga National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Yanga National Park is open Sunrise to Sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Yanga Homestead Precinct is open 8.30am - 4.30pm.