Hunter Wetlands National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Stockton sandspit.
Getting there and parking
Stockton sandspit is in the Stockton precinct of Hunter Wetlands National Park. To get there:
- Cross over the Stockton Bridge heading towards Stockton and Fern Bay
- Turn right at the roundabout, still heading towards Stockton.
- Turn right at your first opportunity, and then follow the road under the bridge where you can park.
- Proceed on foot around the path for views of the mud flats
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available beneath the bridge, a short walk from Stockton sandspit.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Hunter Wetlands National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
With the weather mild, now is the time to get those bicycles out and ride the paths around Ash Island.
Pack a picnic to eat at Scotts Point or Riverside Park This is also the time you'll see the cream flowers of the mangroves .
This is the best time for birdwatching at Stockton Sandspit, as many of the migratory birds are here feeding. Make sure you're there at low-tide.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 25°C
10°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307