Carrai and Coachwood trails
Carrai National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Carrai and Coachwood trails.
Getting there and parking
Carrai trail is in Carrai National Park, and Coachwood trail is in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park. To get to there:
- Turn off Macleay Valley Way north of Kempsey onto Second Lane
- Cross the train line and continue to the end of the road
- Turn right onto River Street which becomes Armidale Road
- Drive around 19km then turn left on Temagog Road
- After 8.5km this becomes Willi Willi Road, continue 17.5km
- Turn left onto Carrai Road. From here, it’s 24km to Coachwood Road or 46.5km to Daisy Plains picnic area.
- Take New England Highway south then Oxley Highway east
- From Walcha continue around 54km
- Turn left onto Kangaroo Flat Road and follow signs to Werrikimbe National Park
- Take Mooraback Road, then Racecourse trail through to Coachwood Road
- From here, Coachwood Road travels 17km to Kookaburra, where it meets Carrai Road.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- Dry weather only
- Non-flush toilets and a kitchen hut with open fire are located at Daisy Plains huts in Carrai National Park. Bring your own firewood.
- The huts also offer basic accommodation on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please ensure you’re well-equipped.
- There are no bins so please take your rubbish with you when you leave the park.
Maps and downloads
Bushwalking permitted. Keep well back from cliff edges, lookouts and waterfalls at all times, especially when taking photos. Please stay on tracks, be aware of your surroundings and footing, and ensure children are supervised.
Permitted at Daisy Plains hut. Free camping is not permitted along this route.
Mountain biking is permitted on public roads.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Walcha office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6777 4700
- 188W North Street, Walcha NSW 2354