4WD Oberon Colong historic stock route
Southern Blue Mountains area in Blue Mountains National Park
All the practical information you need to know about 4WD Oberon Colong historic stock route.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
4WD Oberon Colong historic stock route is in the Southern Blue Mountains area of Blue Mountains National Park, bordered by Kanangra-Boyd National Park. To get there:
- Start at Oberon on Edith Road, then turn right after 8km onto Butter Factory Lane, which leads onto Shooters Hill Road.
- Turn left onto Mount Werong Road (also known as Colong Oberon historic stock route) and follow this unsealed road past Mount Werong campground.
- Continue all the way along the crest of Murruin Range to Yerranderie Regional Park.
Road access, conditions and restrictions
- Restricted access: There’s no direct access to Southern Blue Mountains area or Yerranderie through the Burragorang Valley from East Picton or Oakdale. This is a Schedule 1 protected water catchment with access restrictions. If you’re using GPS or online mapping, please enter Oberon or Goulburn as your destination to avoid navigational issues.
- In wet weather, check conditions or closures with Oberon office.
- Watch for kangaroos, wombats and fallen trees on the Oberon Colong stock route. Keep speed down to avoid accidents and punctures.
- Unsealed Road. AWD/4WD recommended.
- Unsealed roads
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
If you're travelling through a national park or reserve on a public road you can have pets inside your vehicle. However, you must keep them inside your vehicle while driving through national parks or reserves. You must also comply with any conditions in the park’s plan of management, and you cannot stop to visit the park or use park facilities (unless for safety reasons, or to use publicly accessible toilets).
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Oberon office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6336 6200
- 38 Ross Street, Oberon NSW 2787
- in the Southern Blue Mountains area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and Country NSW regions
Southern Blue Mountains area is always open but some locations may close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.