Back to previous page
Special Offer

NPWS Concession Pass frequently asked questions

Read our frequently asked questions to learn more about NPWS Concession Pass eligibility and entitlements.

Read more about NPWS Concession Pass frequently asked questions

From April 2021, NPWS Concession Passes are transitioning from being linked to a person, to instead be linked to a single vehicle number plate, as for all other NPWS annual passes.

Find out more about changes to NPWS Concession Pass entry to NSW national parks and reserves.

Who is eligible to apply for a NPWS Concession Pass?

  • Australian Pensioner Concession Card holders
  • Holders of an Australian Veterans Gold DVA Card embossed with ‘EDA’ or ‘TPI’
  • Holders of an Australian Veterans Gold DVA Card without ‘EDA’ or ‘TPI’, who can provide a letter from the Department of Veterans' Affairs confirming a disability pension of 70% or higher, or minimum 50 impairment points.

Who isn't eligible for a NPWS Concession Pass?

  • War widows or White DVA Health Card holders
  • Student concession card holders
  • Transport concession entitlement holders
  • International pensioner or seniors card holders
  • Australian Disability Parking Permit holders or Mobility Parking Scheme permit holders.

How do I apply for an NPWS Concession Pass?

You can now apply for a NPWS Concession Pass online. You'll need:

  • A valid email address to receive your digital annual concession pass confirmation and reference number.
  • A photo or PDF copy of your Australian Pensioners Card (front of card) to upload.
  • Or, a photo or PDF copy of your valid Australian DVA Gold Card (front of card) to upload. Gold Card holders without 'EDA' or 'TPI' also need to supply a letter from the Office for Veterans Affairs confirming a disability rate of 70% or higher, or minimum 50 impairment points.
  • A photo or PDF copy of the vehicle registration that your NPWS Concession Pass will be linked to. The vehicle will need to be registered in your name, or to your residential address.

You can also call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS).

Please note, to comply with current Public Health Orders, some Service NSW centres and NPWS visitor centres across NSW may be closed or need to close at short notice.

Please read the NPWS Concession Pass conditions of use.

How long will my application take to be processed?

The NPWS Concession Pass can only be issued after supporting documents are received.

Please allow around 3 business days to receive your digital pass confirmation and reference number via email.

Does the concession pass cost anything?

No. It’s free.

How many concession passes can I apply for?

You can only apply for 1 NPWS Concession Pass per person.

You can buy annual passes for additional vehicles at a discounted rate, around 20% off the full price. You’re also entitled to a second household pass at around 50% discount. A second household pass will have the same expiry as your NPWS Concession Pass.

Or, you can buy a discounted All Parks Pass or Multi Park Pass, at $15 off the full price, when renewing your NSW vehicle registration online with Service NSW.

What does the NPWS Concession Pass entitle me to?

A NPWS Concession Pass entitles the single vehicle that is linked to your pass to enter any NSW national park or reserve, without paying vehicle entry fees.

A NPWS Concession Pass must be used in accordance with the concession pass conditions of use. Other fees may apply.

Do I get free park entry if I'm on a bus tour, in a taxi or commercial vehicle?

No. Your NPWS Concession Pass only provides free entry if you’re travelling in the private vehicle (up to 8 seats) that is linked to your digital pass. You’re not exempt from vehicle entry fees if entering the park in a commercial vehicle, such as a taxi, or on a bus tour.

Do I need to pay park entry fee if my application is pending or I don't have it with me?

Yes. Until your application is approved and you receive your digital NPWS Concession Pass confirmation and reference number, vehicle entry fees will apply. You’re only exempt from park entry fees when visiting a park in the vehicle that is linked to your NPWS Concession Pass.

Please note: Fees incurred while waiting for your application to be processed are non-refundable.

Does NPWS offer concessions to other groups?

No. The NPWS Concession Pass is only available to Australian Pension Card holders and eligible Veterans Card holders. Other concession card holders can’t apply, although you might be able to take advantage of our $15 discount pass or Seniors 20% discount pass.

A Companion Card may be issued to people with significant and permanent disability, so their carer can access tours and attractions operated by NSW National Parks free of charge. A Companion Card does not cover vehicle entry fees to NSW national parks and reserves.

NPWS may offer complementary or discounted entry to other groups, including Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Services, or NPWS volunteers. If this sounds like you please contact your Fleet Manager or volunteer program coordinator for more information. Aboriginal people can contact the relevant NPWS park office directly, to assist with exemption requests.