School excursionSpecial Offer
Ecosystems at risk at Towra Point Nature Reserve
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Geography, Towra Point Nature Reserve
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Senior students will hone their fieldwork skills in this Stage 6 (Years 11-12) geography excursion at Towra Point Nature Reserve. This Ramsar-listed wetland is the largest and most botanically diverse estuarine wetland remaining in the Sydney region.
Read more about Ecosystems at risk at Towra Point Nature Reserve
The wetland at Towra Point is an ideal location for students to study a vulnerable ecosystem at risk.
Students will learn about the historical uses of this site and the impacts nearby Botany Bay has had on the wetlands over time. We'll discuss why this site holds international significance and protection.
We'll examine the mangrove environment up close, so please be prepared to get muddy and wet.
Students will discuss the current management plans in place to protect this fragile ecosystem, and how these may be strengthened over time.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
P2. Describes the interactions between the four components which define the biophysical environment.
P3. Explains how a specific environment functions in terms of biophysical factors.
P9. Uses maps, graphs and statistics, photographs and fieldwork to conduct geographical inquiries.
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Towra Point Nature Reserve in Sydney and surrounds
- 4-5 hr
- Medium. Guided activities along a track and some long grass, through water in a mangrove area and on a beach. No climbing is involved. Insect repellant advised.
$28 per student for groups of 25 or more. GST included. For smaller groups conditions apply.
- No wheelchair access
- Meeting point
- Meet at Cronulla Wastewater Treatment Plant carpark, Captain Cook Drive, Cronulla
- Yes. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Sydney South
- 02 9542 0615
- PO Box 144, Audley NSW 2232
- in Towra Point Nature Reserve in the Sydney and surrounds region
Towra Point Nature Reserve is accessible by boat only. Access to the land is available on special consent for research and educational purposes only. Contact the local Area office on 9668 2000.