School excursionSpecial Offer
Biology fieldwork at Bonnie Vale
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Biology, Royal National Park
Senior biology students will hone their skills on this Stage 6 (Years 11-12) fieldwork study in Royal National Park. This biology excursion is designed to support Module 3 (adaptations) and Module 4 (population dynamics) of the syllabus.
Read more about Biology fieldwork at Bonnie Vale
Bonnie Vale is a popular riverside picnic area. It's well known for its diverse vegetation, clear water and abundant wildlife.
Here, senior biology students will undertake an investigation in the mangroves of Cabbage Tree Basin to measure environmental conditions. They'll observe specialised adaptation features of plants and animals and examine co-dependencies that enhance their chance for survival.
This excursion provides a unique opportunity for students to use a variety of fieldwork sampling techniques. Students will gather diverse data and gain an understanding of this fragile and important ecosystem.
This fieldwork can contribute 4 hours toward a depth study of students' choosing.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
BIO11/12-7. Communicates scientific understanding using suitable language and terminology for a specific audience or purpose
BIO11-10. Describes biological diversity by explaining the relationship between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species
BIO11-11. Analyses ecosystem dynamics and the interrelationships of organisms within the ecosystem
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Royal National Park in Sydney and surrounds, South Coast
- Easy. Guided activities along a bush track, next to a freshwater pond, in the mangroves and at the edge of the water.
$28 per student for groups of 25 or more. GST included. For smaller groups conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Meet at Bonnie Vale picnic area approximately 100m along Sea Breeze Lane.
- Yes. All equipment provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Sydney South
- 02 9542 0615
- PO Box 144, Audley NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Payment options include Audley Visitor Centre, vehicle entry stations, pay machines and the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass