School excursionSpecial Offer
Water in the world - protecting an alpine catchment
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Geography, Thredbo-Perisher area
Water in the world - protecting an alpine catchment is a school excursion in Kosciuszko National Park for Stage 4 (Years 7-8) geography students. Learn about the management of water quality at a ski resort and the importance of protected catchments in this area.
Read more about Water in the world - protecting an alpine catchment
On this school excursion, students will examine the ecological and economic value of Kosciuszko National Park, where rivers, glacial lakes and rare plants and animals are protected. These catchments provide water for irrigation, hydroelectricity, and many communities downstream.
While in the park, students will uncover the features and vulnerabilities of the alpine catchment at Charlotte Pass. They’ll then travel to Perisher ski resort to see the impacts of human use on the environment, and the management strategies used to protect water quality in the area. Lastly, students will head to Rennex Gap to survey the landscape and explore its biodiversity.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 4 (Years 7-8)|
|Key learning area||Geography|
GE4-1. Locates and describes the diverse features and characteristics of a range of places and environments
GE4-5. Discusses management of places and environments for their sustainability
GE4-7. Acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays during school terms from November to May.
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Thredbo-Perisher area
- 4hrs 30min
- Easy. Short walks into the field, occasionally on gravel tracks and uneven surfaces.
- $300 per group for up to 25 students (includes GST). For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Sawpit Creek
- Yes. Worksheet masters, weather recording instruments, and flora and fauna identification material will be provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass