School excursionSpecial Offer
People and place
Stage 3 (Years 5-6), Geography, Sherwood Nature Reserve
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
People and place is a Stage 3 (Years 5-6) geography excursion at Sherwood Nature Reserve. Come and explore what makes this remnant lowland rainforest ecosystem unique, and how people have interacted with and valued this place over time.
Read more about People and place
On this school excursion, students will compare and contrast ways that community attitudes and values have changed through time to shape our natural landscapes. They’ll explore how the natural environment influences people.
Students will observe environmental changes at a local scale from forest management practices and compare changes in a rainforest versus a disturbed forest environment.
As they learn about this unique place, students will develop an appreciation for cultural and resource values versus aesthetic and ecosystem values. They’ll subsequently recognise how people contribute to the sustainability of an area.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 3 (Years 5-6)|
GE3-2. Explains interactions and connections between people, places and environments
GE3-3. Compares and contrasts influences on the management of places and environments
Mondays to Fridays from 9am to 4.30pm during school terms.
- Guided. Available on request. Please provide us with at least 2 week's notice if you would like to book this school excursion.
- Woolgoolga Creek picnic area, Sherwood Nature Reserve
- 2hrs 30min
- Easy. Ranger-guided walk and activities mostly along a flat, gravel fire trail. One shallow (or dry) creek bed crossing, sections of leaf litter on the forest floor and unsealed walking path.
- Meeting point
- Woolgoolga Creek picnic area
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - North Coast
- (02) 6657 2309
- (02) 6657 2145
- in Sherwood Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Sherwood Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or damage to trail network.