School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Glenrock State Conservation Area
Experience Glenrock State Conservation Area through the eyes of an Aboriginal person on this school excursion for Stage 2 (Years 3-4) HSIE students. Through first-hand experiences learn about the culture of the Awabakal People, how they lived, what resources they used and the significance of the land and Dreamtime stories. Learn about the impact of European settlement on the area and why Glenrock is a culturally significant landscape.
Read more about Aboriginal culture
Glenrock State Conservation Area is located 10 minutes’ drive from Newcastle CBD and protects numerous historic and indigenous sites. Glenrock has a high diversity of flora, including the last pocket of coastal rainforest in the region, and animal species such as the Powerful Owl. Walk the Yeulerbah track, an ancient Aboriginal pathway, to Burwood Beach and explore the changing ecosystems from the forest to the sea.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-3. Describes people, events and actions related to world exploration and its effects
Weekdays all year.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Glenrock State Conservation Area
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bush walking tracks, up a flight of stairs, along a beach and on a grassed picnic area.
$380 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Glenrock State Conservation Area, Burwood Road carpark, Dudley.
- Yes. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4946 4112
- 02 4946 4150
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Glenrock State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
Glenrock State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.