School excursionSpecial Offer
Living Country, living culture
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), History, Katoomba area
Join us for Living Country, Living Culture – a Stage 2 (Years 3-4) History excursion in the Blue Mountains National Park. This excursion is designed to support the First Contact syllabus.
Read more about Living Country, living culture
This excursion includes a guided walk on Country, in the National Park, with first hand history, stories from local First Nations lore and culture with an Aboriginal guide.
You will spend time seeing, touching and learning about traditional tools and artefacts brought by your guide. Hear stories from local First Nations lore. Your guide will discuss the impact of European colonisation on the traditional practices and lives of Indigenous Australians. Explore together examples of contact – interactions and resistance. You can also learn about the ways that colonisation impacted the land itself, and how this impacted the culture and practices of Aboriginal people.
Choose your location, from Katoomba, Wentworth Falls, Blackheath or Glenbrook.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
HT2-3. Describes people, events and actions related to world exploration and its effects
HT2-4. Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5. Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
Monday to Friday during school term
- Guided. Available on request.
- 2hrs 30min
- Medium. Wentworth Falls track, Three Sisters walk and Red Hands Cave walking track are medium grade. An easy grade option is available at Fairfax Heritage track.
Prices start from $395 incl GST per group (up to 20 students).
- Meeting point
- Three Sisters: Lilianfels Park, outside the coach drop-off zone on Echo Point Road, Katoomba
- Wentworth Falls: Wentworth Falls picnic area at the end of Falls Road, Wentworth Falls
- Fairfax Heritage walking track: Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Red Hands Cave walking track: Red Hands Cave carpark located at the end of Red Hands fire trail
- Other locations by request
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.