School excursionSpecial Offer
Living Country, living culture
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), History, Katoomba area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Join us for Living Country, living culture – a Stage 2 (Years 3-4) history excursion in and around Katoomba. This excursion is designed to support the Community Remembrance and Aboriginal Histories and Cultures K-10 syllabus.
Read more about Living Country, living culture
Students will learn how Aboriginal people have a strong connection to their environment, known as connection to Country.
Our NPWS Aboriginal guide will demonstrate a range of Aboriginal artefacts and explain their use. We'll explore the bush environment and discuss how specific plants were used for medicine and bush tucker. Students will take part in fun, hands-on activities.
They'll leave with an appreciation of Aboriginal culture in this region.
This excursion is staged at several key areas in Blue Mountains National Park. Choose from:
- Three Sisters walk at Katoomba
- Wentworth Falls track at Wentworth Falls
- Fairfax Heritage walking track at Blackheath
- Red Hands Cave walking track at Glenbrook
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-3. Describes people, events and actions related to world exploration and its effects
Monday to Friday during school term
- Guided. Available on request.
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Minimum 2 hr
- Medium. Wentworth Falls track, Three Sisters walk and Red Hands Cave walking track are medium grade. An easy grade option is available at Fairfax Heritage track.
Prices start from $395 incl GST per group (up to 20 students).
- Meeting point
- Three Sisters: Lilianfels Park, outside the coach drop-off zone on Echo Point Road, Katoomba
- Wentworth Falls: Wentworth Falls picnic area at the end of Falls Road, Wentworth Falls
- Fairfax Heritage walking track: Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Red Hands Cave walking track: Red Hands Cave carpark located at the end of Red Hands fire trail
- Other locations by request
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 02 4782 6199
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.