School excursionSpecial Offer
First contacts at Kurnell
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), History, Kurnell area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
In 1770, James Cook landed in Botany Bay on board the Endeavour. Directly ashore were the Aboriginal people of the Eora Nation. This Stage 2 (Years 3-4) history excursion will explore the first contact between Aboriginal clans and white settlers.
Read more about First contacts at Kurnell
The first encounter between the crew of the Endeavour and the Eora Nation would dramatically shape the future of our continent.
Your NPWS Aboriginal guide will demonstrate the use of indigenous artefacts. By sharing in bush survival wisdom, students will develop an appreciation of the Dharawal People's connection to Country before white settlement.
Through stories recounted on-site, students will gain perspectives on the British arrival and its impact on Aboriginal culture.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
HT2-3. Describes people, events and actions related to world exploration and its effects
HT2-4. Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5. Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
Weekdays during school term
- Kurnell Visitor Centre, Kurnell area
- Easy. Guided walk along a sloped unpaved track incorporating a soundscape and a walk along a concrete path. Bushwalks along the other flat trails are a combination of boardwalk and dirt track.
$20 per student for groups of 25 or more. GST included. For smaller groups conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Meet at Kurnell Visitor Centre, Kamay Botany Bay National Park
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Sydney South
- 02 9542 0649
- PO Box 144, Audley NSW 2232
- in the Kurnell area of Kamay Botany Bay National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
7am–7.30pm August to May. 7am–5.30pm June to July.
Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies in the Kurnell area only. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins. The park also has credit card accepting payment facilities.Buy annual pass