School excursionSpecial Offer
The earth's environment
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Towarri National Park
Did you know that over 9 per cent of NSW is a national park? That’s over 7 million hectares. This Stage 2 (Years 3-4) earth’s environment geography excursion is delivered at Towarri National Park.
Read more about The earth's environment
Students will go for a walk along the banks of Middle Brook to Washpools waterhole. They’ll observe the high diversity of plant species and changing ecosystems from the forest floor to the mountaintops. Washpools is a natural waterhole, making it a great place to undertake nature surveys.
As students explore, they’ll come to understand the important role of workers in a national park. Through investigation and discussion, they’ll discover how they can help to conserve and protect these special places.
We’ll look at some of the key, human-led threats to native species and places including urbanisation and domestic pests. By examining these threats we’ll invoke a strong sense of the role students – our future environmental leaders – can play in preserving these important places for the future.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school terms.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Medium. Guided tour and activities on an undulating, unsealed fire trail, along a creek bed, amongst leaf litter on the forest floor and along an unsealed walking path.
$10 per student.
- No wheelchair access
- Meeting point
- Washpools picnic area and viewing platform in Towarri National Park.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4927 3267
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Towarri National Park in the Country NSW region
Towarri National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger