Stage 1 (Years 1-2), Science and Technology, Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about WilderQuest WildThings.
- A guided walk along a bush track to find evidence of animals and plants living in the area.
- Discover the bugs or invertebrates living in the area.
- Use the senses to explore the living world and appreciate how local animals use their senses to survive.
- Investigate what local wildlife need to survive and build a mini habitat for one of the animals.
What to bring
It’s a good idea to wear long pants, closed comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. And remember to bring food, water, first aid kit and any necessary medications.
Getting there and parking
Kosciuszko Education Centre is located 12km along Kosciuszko Road, past Jindabyne.
It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains between June and October long weekends in the event of extreme weather.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Snow chains required after snow
Car, bus and off-street parking is available.
Maps and downloads
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
If you have someone with special needs, please let us know in advance so that we can plan accordingly.
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass