School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 1 (Years 1-2), HSIE, Tumut area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Aboriginal stories is a school excursion in Kosciuszko National Park for Stage 1 (Years 1-2) students, focusing on HSIE. Wiradjuri, Wolgalu and Ngunawal People, along with the NPWS Aboriginal Discovery program, deliver experiences to build understanding and appreciation for their culture.
Read more about Aboriginal stories
Sensory and hands-on activities encourage students to explore and learn by doing. They'll make fundamental links between Dreaming stories, land and country, and languages.
Aboriginal people have been walking the earth for thousands of years. They continue to have a strong connection to country. Traditional practices, Dreaming stories and spiritual beliefs play an important part in modern life.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 1 (Years 1-2)|
GE1-1. Describes features of places and the connections people have with places
GE1-2. Identifies ways in which people interact with and care for places
HT1-1. Communicates an understanding of change and continuity in family life using appropriate historical terms
HT1-2. Identifies and describes significant people, events, places and sites in the local community over time
Weekdays all year
- Available on request. Subject to staff availability.
- Tumut area in Kosciuszko National Park in Snowy Mountains
- 3-5 hr
- Easy. Discovery ranger-guided walk and activities on bush tracks and in the amphitheatre
$275 per group for a half day (3 hours), $375 per group for a full day (5 hours). Prices include GST. Maximum 25 students per group. For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Birrimal Waga Amphitheatre, Sydney Street, Tumut
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- Tumut Region Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6947 7025
- The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut NSW 2720
- in the Tumut area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Tumut area is open all year but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues.
No park entry fees apply in the Tumut area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass