School excursionSpecial Offer
Cape Byron Lighthouse: A special place
Stage 1 (Years 1-2), Geography, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Experience a bird’s eye view from the top of the iconic Cape Byron Lighthouse in this Stage 1 (Years 1-2) geography excursion. Students will learn about the features of the lighthouse and its significance to people and the community.
Read more about Cape Byron Lighthouse: A special place
This excursion includes a guided tour through the museum and to the top of the lighthouse. Students will explore important features of the lighthouse and see the Cape from a different perspective.
With help from your guide, students will survey visitors and the community to understand the significance of this place to different people and how this may vary. Students will explore the reserve and find ways to care for this important place.
This program emphasises the use of geographical tools and processing geographical information by incorporating illustrated tables and surveys as well as viewing, using and creating maps.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 1 (Years 1-2)|
GE1-1. Describes features of places and the connections people have with places
GE1-2. Identifies ways in which people interact with and care for places
GE1-3. Communicates geographical information and uses geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
$10.50 per person (includes GST). Minimum fee of $210.00 (includes GST). Teachers and other staff are free.
- Meeting point
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct at the end of Lighthouse Road, Byron Bay. Groups meet on the verandah of the northern side of the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage (visitor centre).
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Byron Bay
- 02 6620 9300
- 02 6620 9333
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted.
Coach entry: $26 per coach up to 30 seats; $50 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $83 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass