School excursionSpecial Offer
Cape Byron Lighthouse: A special place
Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten), Geography, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Experience a bird’s eye view from the top of the iconic Cape Byron Lighthouse in this Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten) geography excursion. Students will learn about the features of this special place and its significance to people and the community.
Read more about Cape Byron Lighthouse: A special place
This school excursion includes a guided tour through the Maritime Museum and up to the top of the lighthouse. Students will explore important features of the lighthouse and see the Cape from a different perspective.
With help from their guide, students will survey visitors and the community. Through conducting surveys, they’ll understand the significance of this place and how this may vary between different people.
Students will explore the state conservation area and find ways to care for this important place.
This program focuses on the use of geographical tools and processing geographical information. Students will learn to incorporate illustrated tables and surveys, and view, use and create maps.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Early Stage 1 (Kindergarten)|
GEe-1. Identifies places and develops an understanding of the importance of places to people.
GEe-2. Communicates geographical information and uses geographical tools.
Weekdays during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse, Cape Byron State Conservation Area
- $10.50 per person (includes GST). Minimum fee of $210.00. Teachers and other staff are free.
- Meeting point
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct at the end of Lighthouse Road, Byron Bay. Groups meet on the verandah of the northern side of the Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage (Cape Byron Information Centre).
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Byron Bay
- 02 6620 9300
- 02 6620 9333
- Tallow Beach Road, Byron Bay NSW
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse precinct and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted.
Coach entry: $29 per coach up to 30 seats; $55 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $91 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass