Yarrangobilly Caves House adaptive re-use
After sitting abandoned for more than 50 years, the 1917 two-storey wing of Yarrangobilly Caves House has been refurbished and opened to visitors as a tourist accommodation business. This marks an important milestone in the history of Kosciuszko National Park, and is a sign of the revitalisation of the Yarrangobilly Caves precinct.
Read more about Yarrangobilly Caves House adaptive re-use
A small set of alpine-style buildings designed by the Government Architects Office, Yarrangobilly is one of only 3 known historic caves house complexes still existing within Australia. (The others are found in Jenolan, NSW and Yallingup, WA).
Yarrangobilly Caves House is comprised of 2 sections: the original 1901 building, and a two-storey addition built in 1917. The 1901 section was refurbished and opened for accommodation in 2008 – it represents a successful example of adaptive re-use preservation of heritage values while updating amenities for modern visitor expectations. The 1917 addition, re-opened in April 2014, replicates this model, preserving a magnificent example of early 20th-century alpine resort architecture while creating a building that’s self-sufficient in terms of water, sewage and electricity.
The refurbishment of Yarrangobilly Caves House recently won a National Trust Heritage Award. This ambitious project offers a range of heritage, environmental, social and economic benefits for the Yarrangobilly Caves precinct and wider Kosciuszko community.