St Bernard's Church
Hartley Historic Site
Providing a rare vivid glimpse into Australia’s colonial past, St Bernard's Church is the perfect wedding venue for history buffs, or for those just looking for a venue hire option with a uniquely historic flavour.
- 47 Old Great Western Highway, Hartley, NSW, 2790 - in Hartley Historic Site
- Venue is suitable for
- Christenings and wedding ceremonies
Maximum people: 100
There is space at the church for 100 seated and 20 standing guests.
- Toilets, electric power
$850 for a ceremony including a rehearsal in the week prior to the wedding. Contact Hartley Visitor Centre for fees for other services.
Available to hire 7 days a week except 25 and 31 December, and 1 January.
Venue available for exclusive hire
- Bookings are required. To make a booking or for more information contact Hartley Visitor Centre.
- Other Information
- St Bernard’s is a consecrated Catholic church. All services in the church must be conducted by an ordained Catholic priest. Celebrants are not permitted to perform services, however other Christian denominations may be considered.
The beautiful pale sandstone St Bernard's Church was built by local stonemason Alexander Binning, probably from a Gothic prototype. Before it was built, services had to be held in Hartley Courthouse, with the first priest arriving from Ireland in 1838. The stonework was completed in 1846, but the windows and altar came later.
The church was used continuously until 1963 and is still consecrated and in fine condition. Services such as weddings and christenings are still held in the lovely old building, and the Catholic Church retains the rights for its use.
Well-preserved and offering a glimpse into Australia’s colonial history, St Bernard's Church is one of the Blue Mountain's historic wedding venues and an ideal event venue hire option. It also provides an impressive backdrop for photographs, so you can remember your special day for years to come.
- Hartley Visitor Centre
- 10am to 1pm and 1.30pm to 4pm. Closed Mondays, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- 02 6355 2117
- Farmers Inn, 51 Old Great Western Highway, Hartley 2790
- in Hartley Historic Site in the Sydney and surrounds region
Hartley Historic Site is open every day but access may be limited at times due to fire danger, school bookings or organised events.