St Bernards Church
Hartley Historic Site
Venue hire conditions
Organised events that can comply with current rules on public gatherings are allowed in NSW national parks. No other events can proceed until further notice.
Please get in touch with your NPWS event contact, the relevant local park office, or email the Events team to arrange bookings, cancellations or postponements.
Providing a rare vivid glimpse into Australia’s colonial past, St Bernards Church is the perfect wedding venue for history buffs, or for those just looking for a venue hire option with a uniquely historic flavour.
- 47 Old Great Western Highway, Hartley, NSW, 2790 - in Hartley Historic Site
- Venue is suitable for
- Wedding ceremonies
- Maximum people: 40
- Picnic tables, drinking water, toilets, electric power
For fee information, please email the Events and Venues Unit or
phone (02) 9585 6570.
- Venue available for exclusive hire
- A completed application form should be received at least 6 months in advance of the event in order to assure availability of your preferred venue and date(s) and adequate time for the review process by NPWS. Initial assessment of the event application, site plan and supporting documentation may take 2-3 weeks. Please contact the Events and Venues Unit for information regarding cancellations.
The beautiful pale sandstone St Bernards Church was built by local stonemason Alexander Binning, probably from a Gothic prototype. Before it was built, services had to be held in Hartley Courthouse, with the first priest arriving from Ireland in 1838. The stonework was completed in 1846, but the windows and altar came later.
The church was used continuously until 1963 and is still consecrated and in fine condition. Occasional services such as weddings and funerals are still held in the lovely old building, and the Catholic Church retains the rights for its use.
Well-preserved and offering a glimpse into Australia’s colonial history, St Bernards Church is one of Sydney’s historic wedding venues and an ideal event venue hire option. It also provides an impressive backdrop for photographs, so you can remember your special day for years to come.
- in Hartley Historic Site in the Sydney and surrounds region
Hartley Historic Site is open every day but may have to close at times due to fire danger or school bookings.
Hartley Historic Site Visitor Centre is open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.20pm.