Gap Beach walking track
Hat Head National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Gap Beach walking track.
Grade 5Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
No directional signage
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Gap beach walking track starts at Little Bay picnic area in the Trial Bay Gaol precinct of the adjoining Arakoon National Arakoon National Park. To get there:
From South West Rocks:
- Follow Phillip Drive (it becomes Wilson Street)
- Turn right onto Gladstone Street which becomes Carri Street
- Continue along Carri Street until you reach Little Bay picnic area
- Follow the signs to Overshot Dam where the track begins
Park entry points
- North gap carpark See on map
Parking is available at Overshot Dam or the nearby Little Bay picnic area.
Best times to visit
This park's sweeping beaches are extremely inviting during summer, but its wildlife and walking tracks make it a joy to visit all year round.
A birdwatcher's delight as the heath shrubland bursts into a kaleidoscope of wild flowers and birds come from all around, listen out for the guttural call of glossy black cockatoos.
Take the Connors track beach walk to experience wildflower displays amongst the banksias .
Spot humpback and southern right whales migrating to northern waters between May and July.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
19°C and 26°C
13°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass