Murrumbidgee Valley Nature Reserve
Known to locals as Koala reserve (Narrandera Nature Reserve), is part of Murrumbidgee Valley Nature Reserve and home to over 200 koalas. It’s a great place for walking and cycling.
- Picnic areas
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Although the majestic river red gums that line Murrumbidgee River create shady picnic spots, try to avoid sitting or standing directly underneath as they are notorious for dropping large branches without warning.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to spot koalas or birdwatch
At Koala reserve, the whole family will love to see hundreds of these iconic Australian animals in the wild. This is an ideal environment for them - river red gums are a great source of food and Murrumbidgee River offers a cooler location on hotter days. Look out for them in branches overhanging the river.
In 1972, at a time when no koalas had been seen around these parts since 1900, koalas were re-introduced into Narrandera district from Victoria and Queensland. Through heatwaves, flooding and fire, a healthy population has survived and there are believed to be well over 200 koalas living in the area.
Koala reserve, as it's known locally, is in Murrumbidgee Valley Nature Reserve (sign-posted as Narrandera Nature Reserve). Roll out a picnic blanket and enjoy lunch on the grass or head to the river where you'll find some picnic tables. Then either take an independent walk or cycle through the reserve to see how many koalas you can spot, or contact Narrandera Visitor Centre for information on tours.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Griffith office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 02 6966 8100
- 200 Yambil Street, Griffith NSW 2680