Captain Cook's lookout
Hat Head National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Captain Cook's lookout.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Captain Cook’s lookout is in the Smoky Cape precinct of Hat Head National Park. To get there:
- Take Arakoon Road from South West Rocks
- Turn into Lighthouse Road and follow the signs to Smoky Cape Lighthouse
Park entry points
- Captain Cook carpark See on map
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Captain Cook’s lookout.
Best times to visit
This park's sweeping beaches are extremely inviting during summer, but its wildlife and walking tracks make it a joy to visit all year round.
A birdwatcher's delight as the heath shrubland bursts into a kaleidoscope of wild flowers and birds come from all around, listen out for the guttural call of glossy black cockatoos.
Take the Connors track beach walk to experience wildflower displays amongst the banksias .
Spot humpback and southern right whales migrating to northern waters between May and July.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
19°C and 26°C
13°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
- The picnic area here has easy-access facilities and toilets
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass