St Bernards Church
Hartley Historic Site
Take a tour or arrange a wedding at St Bernards Church in Hartley, a lovingly preserved example of colonial sandstone architecture.
- Historic buildings/places
- 47 Old Great Western Highway, Hartley, NSW, 2790 - in Hartley Historic Site in Sydney and surrounds
- Opening times
St Bernards Church is:
- Open for pre-booked tours or Catholic services
- Please contact Hartley Historic Site on (02) 6355 2117 or email for further information.
- Hire this venue
St Bernards Church is available for events and function hire.
- Please note
- Catholic ceremonies are held at St Bernards with prior arrangement
- Other denominations may hold services with the approval of the Parish Priest
- For tours, please book ahead on (02) 6355 2117.
The beautiful pale sandstone St Bernards Church was built by local stonemason Alexander Binning, probably from a Gothic prototype. Before it was built, services had to be held in Hartley Courthouse, with the first priest arriving from Ireland in 1838. The stonework was completed in 1846, but the windows and altar came later.
The church was used continuously until 1963 and is still consecrated and in fine condition. Occasional services such as weddings and funerals are still held in the lovely old building and the Catholic Church retains the rights for its use. You can take a tour when it isn't in use for a service.
St Bernard’s is a well-preserved and very pretty church, and well worth a look around. You can also take great photographs in the grounds for any occasion, even just a day trip.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Download our app
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Hartley Visitor Centre
- 10am to 1pm and 1.30pm to 4pm. Closed Mondays, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- 02 6355 2117
- Farmers Inn, 51 Old Great Western Highway, Hartley 2790
- in Hartley Historic Site in the Sydney and surrounds region
Hartley Historic Site is open every day but access may be limited at times due to fire danger, school bookings or organised events.
Things to do (35)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Adventure sports (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (1)
- Cycling (2)
- Environmental appreciation/study (5)
- Historic heritage (5)
- Other experiences (3)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (3)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (11)
- Visitor centres (2)
- Walking (15)
- Waterfalls (8)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)