Whale watching at Muttonbird Island
Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve
Don't miss this free whale watching experience on Muttonbird Island, Coffs Harbour. The whales are on their annual migration, so it's a great time to see them. Our NPWS rangers can answer your queries.
Mondays 8 July and 15 July 2024, 9.30am to 12pm
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for all ages. It’s around a 2km return walk to the lookout from the carpark area near the breakwall.
- Meeting point
- Viewing platform at the Eastern Side lookout on Muttonbird Island. Access the walking track via the end of the marina breakwall, Coffs Harbour Jetty.
- Bookings not required. For further information, email or call 0488 425 346. Please note, this activity may be cancelled without notice due to poor weather.
The whales are here, and Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve in Coffs Harbour is a prime spot for whale watching.
Patience and luck can reward whale watchers. Keep your eyes peeled for majestic humpback whales, and their stunning displays of power and agility as they pass by the coast. Our friendly and knowledgeable NSW National Parks education rangers have powerful binoculars and scopes on hand. Make this free whale watching experience the highlight of your holidays.
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve in the North Coast region
Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.