School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Geography, Budderoo National Park
Rainforest interactions is a Stage 6 (Years 11-12) school excursion that focuses on geography as a learning area. Students will undertake a geographical investigation of the biophysical processes and their interactions at Minnamurra Rainforest.
Read more about Rainforest interactions
Students will observe first-hand the biophysical processes that influence the rainforest environment in Budderoo National Park. We'll discuss the 4 spheres that shape and impact this landscape. Through discussion, students will learn how an understanding of these factors is needed for sustainable management.
Students will undertake a scientific investigation to determine biotic and abiotic factors here. They’ll hone their data collecting skills and use their surveying and mapping skills to form a comprehensive audit of the site and the factors impacting it.
Students will engage in fieldwork to measure biotic and abiotic factors, use sampling techniques to identify vegetation structure, record and assess community diversity and examine human impacts. Students will interpret maps, photographs, satellite imagery, graphs and statistics to support their inquiry.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage 6 (Years 11-12)
P1. Differentiates between spatial and ecological dimensions in the study of geography
P2. Describes the interactions between the four components which define the biophysical environment.
P3. Explains how a specific environment functions in terms of biophysical factors.
P8. Selects, organises and analyses relevant geographical information from a variety of sources.
P9. Uses maps, graphs and statistics, photographs and fieldwork to conduct geographical inquiries.
P10. Applies mathematical ideas and techniques to analyse geographical data
P12. Communicates geographical information, ideas and issues using appropriate written and/or cartographic and graphic forms.
Weekdays during school terms.
- Guided. Available on request. Different length programs are available on consultation.
- 2-5 hr
- Easy. Fieldwork will take place beside a river along the rainforest path.
Minimum $550 per group for up to 25 students, $22 per student (includes GST).
- No wheelchair access
- Meeting point
- Minnamurra Rainforest Centre
- Yes. Worksheet masters, pre-activity and post-activity resources. Additional references will be provided on booking.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Minnamurra Rainforest Centre
- 02 4236 0469
- Budderoo National Park, Minnamurra Falls Road (Tourist Drive No.9), via Jamberoo NSW 2533
- in Budderoo National Park in the South Coast and Country NSW regions
Budderoo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. The park gates at Minnamurra Rainforest Centre open at 9am and close at 5pm every day.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day only in the Minnamurra Rainforest area. Bus or taxi: $4.40 per adult and $2.20 per child.Buy annual pass